Computer 101: Basics of Windows 7, Word Processing and File Management
Refer to the current calendars for schedules.
Computer Basics course or equivalent knowledge
- This course is an introduction to the Personal Computer (PC)
- You will get hands-on practice using the Windows operating system, gain skill in using the mouse, and get experience with some useful computer programs.
- Many of the lessons use the Microsoft Works suite of programs.
- You will get examples of how PCs can be used in your life and activities.
- The lessons are divided into two four-week courses. Computer 101 covers lessons one through four. Computers 102 covers lessons five through eight.
- For each course, you will be given a manual to keep. The manuals contain a step-by-step review of the material covered in the classes. In addition, the Computer 101 manual contains several standalone sections that will be helpful references as you continue your computer experiences. .
Lesson One: Windows Basics and Mouse Skills
- Review computer components and the Windows operating system
- Start and shut down the computer
- Log on and log off the Windows operating system
- Review the desktop and parts of a window
- Control the size and visibility of a window
- Start and stop a software program
- Operate a mouse
- Use Help
- Use buttons, radio buttons, and checkboxes
Lesson Two: Begin Word Processing
- Review the functions of the keyboard
- Open Word and use some of the basic features of Word
- Learn how to cut, copy, and paste
- Open an existing document
- Use toolbar buttons to format text
- Learn how to delete text
- Save a document that has been edited
Lesson Three: More Word Features
- Understand the standard and formatting toolbars
- Learn how to change alignment and format text
- Use the spell checker
- Preview a document
- Learn how to adjust margins and document orientation
- Add clip art to your document
Lesson Four: File and Folder Management
- Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of your computer
- Configure Windows Explorer
- Create new folders
- Rename folders
- Move files from one folder to another
- Delete files