Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the difference between a class, club, seminar, and course ?
- Will I learn hands-on with a computer?
- How many in a class?
- How long do the classes last?
- How many weeks for classes?
- How old do you have to be to take a class?
- How can we suggest class subjects?
- How do I register?
- Are there any fees?
- How far ahead do I need to register for a class?
- What are my payment options ?
- How can I contact the registrar?
- Where are the classes located?
- Where do I park?
- I can’t come to the center, are there any other opportunities?
- Do you rent out the computer lab? What kind of fees and/or requirements?
- I want to offer my time as a volunteer, how can I get involved?
- Class is a generic term for all instructional offerings.
- Clubs is a yearly instruction that meets once a month on a topic, such as Lightroom, Adobe Elements, Microsoft Office, Know Your Camera (best value)
- Seminars meet once or up to three weeks in a row on a specific topic
- Courses are a core basic instruction on the use of computers. There are courses for both beginner and intermediate students.
A: All classes are hands-on unless noted otherwise. Currently, our lab includes 13 student PC’s, one big screen TV projection unit, and an overhead, as well as front screen projection for ease in following the instructor.
A: Depending on the class, there are as many as 13 or as few as 3 students, with an appropriate number of coaches to assist.
A: Two hours to 2 ½ hours long with one coffee break.
A: Our structure consists of:
- clubs, which meet once a month for a yearly membership
- seminars, which meet once a week for 1 to 3 weeks, with one session each week
- core courses, whick meet once each week for 4 weeks
A: Classes are designed and taught for older adults by older adults. We do not have a fixed minimum or maximum age to attend our classes.
A: Send a request to: class-ideas@AGEcomputer.org.
A: If you have access to the Internet, please register online for all Austin Computer Lab (ACL) curriculum offerings at www.AGEcomputer.org. Please check all classes, clubs and seminars you wish to attend. A total cost for the registered classes will appear at the bottom of the page. After you complete the online registration form and submit it, you will receive an email telling you that your registration has been submitted, and instructions to:
- Print and sign the form
- Write a check for Amount Due, payable to AGE
- Mail or hand-deliver the form and payment to:
Austin Groups for the Elderly (AGE) AGE Computer Lab 3710 Cedar St, Box 2 Austin, TX 78705
To secure registration, a completed form and payment must be received before the first day of class. All payments are non-refundable, with the following exceptions:
- If ACL cancels the class, the student can apply the fee to another class or request a refund
- If class session is missed, the student can attend missed session next time class is offered depending on seat availability.
The classes are held at the:
- Austin Groups for the Elderly building (3710 Cedar Street) at the intersection of 38th and Cedar
- Cedar Street is between Guadalupe and Speedway. There is a parking lot behind the building that students are free to use.
Visit our website at www.AGEcomputer.org for more information. Refer to Online Registration and Registration Guidelines for more registration details.
A: Since we are a totally volunteer-driven non-profit organization, our class fees are minimal and earmarked for operating expenses. Class seminars start at $25.
A: In order to provide the best learning experience possible, the volunteer coaches and instructors need time to prepare. Sign up online or in person at the office as soon as possible or at least 1 week in advance. Class calendars are posted by the 5th of each month for the next month of classes. (current calendar)
A: Cash or check; Checks can be made out to AGE and mailed. Or if you are in the building you can drop your form and payment to the computer lab directly in the dropbox located on the lab office door.
AGE Computer Lab
3710 Cedar St, Box 2
Austin, TX 78705
A: Send a request to: reg1@AGEcomputer.org.
A: All classes are at the AGE Historic Building in Central Austin, in a dedicated lab classroom at 3710 Cedar St, Suite 131, Austin, TX 78705. (link to map and directions)
A: Click here to see a map to the building and parking guidelines.
A: We provide home tutoring when possible with a set fee payable as a donation to AGE. Please contact us at 512-524-8519 extension 232, or refer to our web site for the current rate. There's an additionl fee of $5 cash for gas to the volunteer instructor.
A: We do sometimes rent out the computer lab. Fees start at $50 per hour plus security deposit and contract. The dates cannot conflict with regularly scheduled classes. Please call for further information.
A: To volunteer to coach, teach or help in the office, send a request to: new-volunteers@AGEcomputer.org.